- Green Sponge Gourd (Ghosale/Gilka)- 1 medium size
- Brinjal (Eggplant)- 1 medium size
- Besan (gram flour)- 1 cup
- Rice flour- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Water- approx ½ cup
- Cumin powder- 1½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Chilli powder- 1 tsp or as per like
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
- Carom seeds (Ova, Ajvain)- 1½ tsp
- Soda bi-carb (baking soda)- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste.
- Oil for deep frying- as required
- Mix besan, rice flour, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add water slowly and stir the mixture. There should not be lumps in the batter. Consistency of the batter should be medium. Add 1 tsp hot oil in the batter.
- Cut green sponge gourd and brinjal into thin (1 cm) round slices.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai/wok. Turn flame to medium heat once oil is hot. Put slices into the batter, they are completely coated and deep fry them till colour turns nice golden brown. Be careful not to over crowd in the wok. You can put 4-5 bhajees in at a time. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with any chutney as snacks. But mostly we serve this bhajee in a meal as side.
Note: You can also use Shirale/Dodaka /Ridge Gourd in place of Ghosale.